Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Preparedness Tip: Video Your Home's Contents

Once a year I take my cell phone, switch the camera from photos to video, then take a tour through my home and video tape everything.  This is a quick and easy way to document everything we own in the event that there should be a burglary or fire in our home and we would need to file a home insurance claim.  Everything gets included in the video--from our guest rooms which are pretty much what you see is what you get (bed, TV, nightstand, etc) to the contents of the safes (guns, valuables, etc).  Don't forget to include the garage and outbuildings as well.  A bit of video narration is also a good idea (instead of showing a gun, you might way to say the brand, model, and caliber).  In addition to this video, I always take a photo of receipts for high-value items (computers, etc) and keep both the videos and the receipts in a file on my computer, on a back-up thumb drive which I leave in my vehicle, and in a back-up file in the cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment