- Clean and organize your home from top to bottom. You should be able to find anything you need in your home in the dark and in a hurry.
- Declutter your home (most people have way too much useless junk in their homes). Getting rid of stuff you don't need will make room for the things you do.
- Ensure that everything in your home works. Besides preventive maintenance like a furnace tune up or chimney cleaning, any other annoyances like leaky faucets and deteriorating wax rings on the toilets should be switched out.
- Do a safety review and make sure your home is a safe place to be (ideas here, here, and here).
- And then go further and harden your home against break ins and burglaries (ideas here, here, and here).
- Make sure your home insurance is adequate.
- And don't forget to do a complete home inventory (in the event of burglary you want to have all of this information for insurance and legal purposes).
- Finally, if you are so inclined, you can go all out with an off-grid solar system, built in safes and safe rooms and an extensive alarm system, and a full-blown armory.
Monday, March 9, 2015
March Challenge #9 Your Home is Your Castle
Since your home pretty much is your castle, today's challenge is to get your home is ship shape so that not only is it a shelter for you and your family but it also can provide the safety and security that you need. Here's how: