Here's eight types of security to consider for your home:
- Security theater (ie: a 'beware of dog' sign even if you don't have a dog, a security system sign even if you don't have a security system, fake security cameras, etc).
- A dog, or two, or more. The bigger and louder, the better.
- Steel doors, bolt-locks, secure window locks...basically reinforce any opening into your home.
- Exterior security: fences, gates, floodlights, motion sensor lights, landscaping with an eye towards security (such as rose bushes planted under windows, etc).
- Interior security: lights and TVs on a random timer, safes, safe room, no items of importance (keys, wallets, laptops, etc) left within view of the windows.
- A do-it-yourself home security system (wireless systems can be purchased at home stores or electronics stores and can be set up yourself). These can be cheap, moderately-priced, or expensive depending on the system you choose.
- Good security habits: always keep your doors and windows locked, don't make your home look like you have lots of expensive things inside, don't brag about your (coin, jewelry, etc) collection.
- An elaborate security system from a vendor. These will probably be monitored at at off-site location, may include security patrols, include a set-up fee and a monthly charge, and can be as generic or as elaborate as you choose to pay for.