So what do you do to prepare for such an event? Here's some ideas:
- Wired offers information about 'How to Communicate if Your Government Shuts off Your Internet'
- Lifehacker also offers information on 'How to Foil a Nationwide Internet Shutdown'
- One of the best ways to be prepared for such an event is to become a HAM radio operator. On a number of message boards, people in Egypt are asking about how to use HAM radio for communications but it's a bit late for that now. In order to use an amateur radio, one needs to take a test to become a licensed amateur radio user, then go out and buy the radio and other equipment they need for communications, then they need to practice using their radio so that in the event of a disaster they will know what to do. In other words, this is something you need to do NOW, not after a disaster happens.
- Another option would be to use a satellite phone.
- And as one article points out, dial up internet is another option (Google 'dial up internet services' for a list of providers)
The situation is continuing to change moment by moment in North Africa. This is an excellent opportunity to learn about what could happen here as well as give you ideas about how to handle such a situation. And the bottom line, as one article pointed out, without the internet, the country will suffer economic doom as most all financial transactions are done via internet these days. Prepare now for such an eventuality...