- Duct Tape. I could elaborate but someone already has written a book about the many hundreds of uses for duct tape.
- A thumb drive. Many uses...carry your files with you, transfer files to someone else, carry computer programs on it as well.
- Zipties. Good for securing the zippers of your luggage, handcuffing someone, and many other things.
- A smart phone. Either a Droid or iPhone can give you a platform for hundreds of useful apps in addition to phone service and internet access.
- A pocket knife. I have carried one with me since my granddad gave me my first knife at about 10 years old. Dozens of uses.
- Access to the internet. There is literally nothing you can't learn if you have access to the internet.
- Floss. I carry a flat thing of Glide floss with me at all times. Aside from its original purpose this can be used for sewing, tying things up, for a snare...the list is long.
- Cash. I have known places that won't take checks or credit cards but have yet to run into any business/person where cash can't be used as a negotiable instrument.
- Bleach. Can be used for its usual purpose (when washing clothes), to purify water, for cleaning and sanitizing, and can even be used to make a bomb...
- Matches or a lighter. Fire is a pretty basic preparedness item.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
10 Insanely Useful Preparedness Items
Here's ten things you should always have on hand in the event of an emergency: