Saturday, November 21, 2009

DPT From a Reader

Reader GM sent in the following tip:

"I recently became interested in self-sufficiency and survival as I believe that TEOTWAWKI is a real possibility. When the SHTF I'ld like my family to be prepared to take care of itself. Through studying on-line, I've found that one of the common themes throughout various sites is the stored food rations that people suggest keeping.

One of the foods my family often eats and uses in a variety of meals is dried seaweed, sometimes called by the Japanese name "nori", sometimes by the korean name "gim" or "kim", sometimes by the English name "laver". Dried seaweed is very lightweight, highly nutritious, and not very expensive. Most people would know it as the wrapping around "california roll" style sushi. My family prefers the Korean style as it has been dried with sesame oil for additional flavor.

It can be used as a seasoning on a variety of foods, made into soup, mixed in with other foods, or eaten by itself. Dried seaweed goes well with fish, rice, and adds a bit of variety to the diet.

Dried seaweed has a high iodine content, good amount of protein, Vitamins A, B, C, and D, carotene, good quantities of trace minerals (calcium and iron in particular) and has a lot of water soluble fiber that helps with cholesterol issues. The weight to nutrition ratio is exceedingly good. Probably the only negative issues are that it has a high salt content which could be problematic in a survival situation and it needs to be kept dry prior to use for spoilage prevention.

While the flavor and texture are not necessarily for everyone, if you like it, people should consider adding a batch of it to their survival pantry, bug-out-bags, etc. It can be easily found in asian markets or on-line by searching for "dried seaweed'. It stores easily, keeps well and should retain its nutritional values a long time."

Thanks GM for the tip. Although I have eaten nori wrapped around sushi, I hadn't considered its many benefits as a survival food. I think I will be adding some of this to my stash of survival food!

1 comment:

  1. If you like seaweed, in the maritime provinces of Canada can be found Dulse. Try it, grat stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmaria_palmata

    ReplyDelete