- shopping at garage sales is much cheaper than shopping at the big box or department stores.
- there appears to be a group of people who shop garage sales professionally. They plan a route, get there early, quickly scope out the items, get what they came for, then move on.
- garage sales can be excellent places to pick up stuff for your preparedness stash. My friend was selling a couple of ALICE packs which went very quickly, some tools (ditto), and some spare cold weather gear which also went pretty fast.
- you never know what you will find. Antiques, collectors items, and useful things can be found in among the random mish mash of stuff at these sales.
- you never know who you will meet. Within an hour we had chatted with a Vietnam Vet, a mother of seven who home schools her kids, a young immigrant family, a group of elderly folks who go out together each summer weekend and hit as many garage sales as they can, and some neighbors who stopped by just to see what was going on.
- this isn't for everyone. I usually have better things to do with my time however for people with more time and less money, this is an excellent way to get the things they need.
Saturday, May 30, 2009
A friend of mine had a garage sale today so I stopped over to check it out. In the course of an hour or so, I came to the following conclusions: