Tax rebate checks should be appearing in your mailbox soon. As a "stimulus" rebate, the government would be more than happy if you spend your rebate on:
- Big screen TVs
- Eating out
- Any other in a long list of consumer goods
- Pay off debts (credit cards, taxes, back child support, any other consumer debt)
- Put it towards your emergency fund (you should have at least six months worth of household expenses saved for a rainy day)
- Put it with your next house payment to pay towards the mortgage loan principle (the goal is to be totally debt free as soon as possible, including your house and car debts)
- Buy a firearm, gold, or any other item that holds its value (TVs, computers, cars, clothes, etc don't meet this criteria)
- Purchase items to add to your emergency preparedness supplies: food, fuel, tools, other survival supplies, etc.
Like anything, you can do what the crowd is doing or you can use your own good sense and decide for yourself the wisest way to spend this money.